Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Plein Air Painting Blogs

It amazes me that there aren't more blogs which focus on plein air painting. I would have thought they'd be an ideal way of communicating both planned expeditions for groups and recent results of both group and individual outings to paint "en plein air". Maybe the plein air painters have been too busy painting to blog - however I think numbers are now beginning to grow!

For those of you who are wondering what I'm wittering on about - I'm referring to painters who start and complete a painting in front of the subject - in the open air ("en plein air"). Here's an extract from an earlier post of mine about Painting from Life

"Plein Air Painting" is a term derived from French and is frequently used to describe painting from life in the open air and out of doors and away from the studio. It's also sometimes used as a euphemism for painting nature and the natural world. There's a good description of plein air painting and how it came about on the website of the Plein Air Painters of America. There is a further succinct glossary entry defining "plein air" on the Tate Gallery's website.

Here are the plein air painting weblogs (as opposed to plein air websites) that I'm aware of:

I'm going to put a link to this thread in the landscape / plein air painting section in the right hand column and I'll update this list with the names and links of any blogs which are primarily about plein air painting which people highlight in the comments section. (For updates please see end of this post)

However, I will not be including:

  • weblogs like this one - which I wouldn't consider to be primarily about plein air painting, despite the fact I post plein air work, as I post about a lot of other things as well.
  • weblogs which don't yet have a track record of regular posting (but alert me when they do!) or are not updated on a regular basis
  • the websites of plein air painters (unless they include a blog with a separate URL and a comments facility) as I'm focusing on blogging (and there are a multitude of websites associated with artists painting plein air!)
So if anybody reading this comes across any blogs primarily about plein air painting - please do let me know!

Update:

Additional blogs include:

Technorati tags: , , ,

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine, I am glad to find you blog...I just started Plein Air painting, and am so "hooked" on it that I plan to do one each Thursday, and posting them on my newly created Open Air Painting Blog.
    http://www.robmackintosh.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katherine,
    I am a plein air painter. I go out about 3 times a week and paint.I also teach en plein air to a few students privately twice a week. I love being outside and painting. It is just the perfect way to experience a true sense of place. I also paint still lifes from life.
    I have two blogs:
    http://lwarnerconstantino.blogspot.com
    http://pleinairtuscany.blogspot.com/

    I am going to check out your plein air blog list. Thanks for putting it together.

    Linda Warner Constantino

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.