Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Amazon has crashed!

I'm trying to produce my post about the top 10 art books in June - and Amazon.com has crashed!

Since the post is pretty much dependent on having access to Amazon I'm twiddling my thumbs and half heartedly trying to get started on tomorrow's post in advance of the poll ending - while of course rushing back every five minutes to see if Amazon is now working

I can't ever remember Amazon having crashed before.  It turns out that it has an amazing record for not crashing.

Apparently it's been having a bad time all day - oscillating between "sort of" OK, then the book titles disappear, then the books disappear and then I get what seems like an infinite variety of error screens.  In fact I've seen more error screens while trying to access it than I knew existed.  Even the screen for their outsage page disappeared at one point.

Amazon have also been very quiet about what's going on.

There is speculation about how many millions of dollars they are losing every hour.  On the basis of their turnover, the current estimate is that they lose $1.75million for every hour they're offline

It's supposedly now fixed - but if that's the case I'd like to know where are all the books on my information sites!

There was an error connecting to the Amazon web service. Please try again.Sorry, there are no results available from Amazon.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if it's the UK version that crashed? The US one seems to be ok...?? Anyway, frustrating, eh??

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Amazon.co.uk was fine. It was Aamzon.com which had crashed - for several hours.

    Except it never went off line except intermittently. It just kept scrambling the contents of the screen - when it actually managed to generate any!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.