Overview of my website Art Business - For Artists
For artists who want to find out more about the business side of art.
CHECK OUT the subject areas covered in the menu above and topics listed below
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BOOKMARK ANY PAGES YOU ARE INTERESTED IN
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BOOKMARK ANY PAGES YOU ARE INTERESTED IN
Art Business Info: NEWS Blog | Facebook
In general the way new posts about the art business will work is as follows:
- THIS BLOG: Making A Mark: major updates about the art business will continue to be published on this blog
- NEW BLOG: Art Business Info: News - More minor updates and news about new pages on the website will be published on the new blog
This section looks at how you communicate with your customers
Promotion: How to write....
- how to write an artist's statement,
- the sort of information it should contain,
- records you need to keep and
- how to tackle specific issues
How to write a press release for artists [BRAND NEW PAGE]- a link to my free guide which you can read or download for free
Publicity for Juried Exhibitions [BRAND NEW PAGE]
GUIDE: How to get publicity for art competitions and open art exhibitions
Useful information and checklists:
- ABOUT marketing and generating publicity for a juried exhibition
- ABOUT how to avoid very common mistakes and omissions
- FOR all those organising open art competitions and exhibitions
The Private View Invitation [BRAND NEW PAGE]
This page provides a SUMMARY of:
- why PV Invites fail to be effective | what an effective PV invite looks like
- 10 ACTIONS for creating an effective invitation to a Private View
- 5 THINGS TO AVOID when sending out invites to a Private View
Promotion: Marketing Online
[BRAND NEW PAGE]
This page covers:
- The Mobile Friendly Checklist
- Prioritising for Mobile Devices
- Responsive Templates
- More readings about being mobile-friendly
- Websites for Art Societies
- How to test your website
- Technical Matters
Email Newsletter Software - A Guide (MOVING SOON)Are you confused by the different software options for generating a newsletter delivered via email? You're certainly not alone - and this site is starting to try and sort out what are the free and paid options and how they compare. Plus tips on using newsletters and email.
HOW TO SELL ART
This section focuses on selling via third parties, selling online
and selling direct from home.
A Guide to Art Dealers and Galleries [BRAND NEW PAGE]This focuses on retail galleries and art dealers and how they operate. It includes advice and tips - from art advisers and gallery owners - about:
- key facts about representation, galleries and art dealers
- how to get a gallery or agent
- how to be mindful of how fit the art gallery business is
- how to deal with rejection and/or end a relationship with a gallery
A Guide to Art Agents & Consultants [BRAND NEW PAGE]This focuses on agents for illustrators and fine artists and consultants for corporate clients, art collectors and artists needing art business and marketing advice
Alternative Options for Exhibitions - Vanity Galleries, Pop-Ups etc. [BRAND NEW PAGE]This section covers: Vanity Galleries, Pop-Up Spaces, Art Fairs, Art Market booths and renting space at a reputable Commercial Gallery. Plus why all artists need to do "due diligence" on third parties before they pay money to them so they can exhibit their art
Selling Art from Home [BRAND NEW PAGE]This highlights the pros and cons and things you need to think about when selling art from your own home.
Selling Art Online
- The Rules about selling art online - specifically the law and regulations in the UK and USA relating to distance selling using the internet.
- Technical Tips for how to drive traffic and other tools and webware which can help with e-commerce for artist.
- Advice about how to stay safe when selling online
- Options for where best to sell art online
How to Frame Art
This section demystifies some of the technicalities of how to frame art
Framing for art competitions [BRAND NEW PAGE]Framing for art competitions and open art exhibitions is essentially about two things:
avoiding your artwork being eliminated from selection because of the frame
making your art look good
within the context of the competition so your artwork is selected for exhibition
Framing Videos [BRAND NEW PAGE]This page contains videos relating to the whole framing process. The introduction tells you what you can expect to see in the video.
Recommended Picture Framers [BRAND NEW PAGE]Recommended traditional and online framers - by location. These are framers who are recommended by artists who have used them - on the artist's website or blog.
SHIPPING ARTHow to pack, post and ship art
- artwork which needs to be transported
- glazed or framed artwork
- giclée prints and works on paper
- works in pastels
This page looks at TWO types of packaging for packaging art for shipping.
- INTERNAL PACKAGING - which helps to make it look good and keeps it dry - and also protects the work should your package get opened by customs. EXTERNAL PACKAGING - which protects and keeps the artwork safe
How to ship art to exhibitions
Find out about
- the answers to frequently asked questions about shipping art to exhibitions - organised by art galleries, art societies and art competitions.
- suggested art couriers and transport agents for artwork that needs to be shipped to open exhibitions and art competitions
Once you've sold you art you now need to get it to the customer safely - How do you pack art? How do you post art? What about international deliveries? What about customs? How do you get it back again? This site doesn't pretend to have the answers to all the very many questions people have about getting art from artist to purchaser or from artist to exhibition and back again - but it's a start!
- Print Art on Demand - Resources for Artists - Are you interested in having your artwork printed using print on demand technology? Do you want to check out who are the suppliers and what people think of them?
- Online Art Galleries and Stores - Resources for Artists - Any number of services want to help you to get your ORIGINAL ART online - but do they actually work and which is the best?
- Sell Daily Paintings - Resources for Artists - Do you want to know more about how to sell daily paintings online - or improve your knowledge about the painting a day movement generally?
Copyright for Artists
Know Your Rights
- what copyright is and is not;
- what it covers and what it doesn't cover; and
- why copyright is important to an artist or anybody who creates original work
- what is copyright infringement
- what is fair use
- what is the public domain
Copyright in - The UK, the USA, Canada, AustralasiaIndividual pages about how copyright works in each of these countries
Protecting your assets
- Plan to prevent theft
- What to do when someone steals your image
- What is a reverse image search?
- How do you find who's stolen your art for their website?
- How do you find the source of an image you want to use?
- how to take action on stolen content / copyright infringement
- copyright infringement and court action - why people have to pay if they infringe copyright - and some examples of some cases concerning "appropriation" and famous artists
- copyright infringement and content theft - some context in terms of informative articles and posts online
Money and Taxes
How to Price Your Art (NEW SITE)Find out more about the importance of price, what your pricing options are and what other artists are doing. It covers:
- How important is price when buying art? - Find out how important prices is to those buying art
- Options for pricing art - How to avoid pricing art disasters + Check out different approaches to "how to price art" - including different formulas for pricing your art
- Terminology and formulas for pricing art - Learn the words used when pricing art. Review what influences different ways of pricing art e.g. identify costs that need to be recovered and learn about how place and venue influences prices
- Art experts on pricing art - Find out what art experts recommend as the best ways to price art
- How artists price their art - Find out how other artists price their art - and which are the most popular
- What's the price of affordable art?
Tax Tips for Artists (NEW SITE)Tax tips by artists for artists - this does not constitute professional advice but gives you a lead on what issues to consider and what questions to ask if you need more advice.
VAT for Artists [BRAND NEW PAGE]Value Added Tax (VAT) is a topic of interest to:
- artists living in the European Union
- international artists wishing to exhibit in the European Union (EU)
- art societies wanting to hold exhibitions involving international artists
- galleries wanting to sell work by international artists in the UK and by UK artists to customers within the EU.
Insurance for Art and Artists (NEW SITE)This provides an overview of different types of insurance relevant to art and artists
- insurance for an artist's assets and art business liabilities
- public liability insurance relating to third parties
- specialist insurance for artists
- specialist insurance for art businesses
Retirement and Pensions for Artists (NEW SITE)This covers:
- Do artists ever retire? Do artists ever make provision for a pension?
- Using art as a pension pot
- Pensions: self-employment vs. paid employment
- Changes to pension planning
- How much state pension will you get (UK)?
- checklist of issues for artists to consider when planning the disposal of their estates
- checklist of issues that art collectors need to get to grips with prior to death
- some of the difficulties which the estates of famous artists have experienced due to mistakes, omissions and poor estate planning
- links to what seem to be useful sources of helpful information and advice.
The Bigger Picture
The Best Art Business Books
For artists, illustrators, galleries, collectors and all those interested in the art business. Do you want to learn more about the business of being an artist?
How to sign a painting, drawing or fine art print (MOVING SOON)
- What's the best way for an artist to sign a painting?
- Should you date as well as sign a painting?
- How should you sign a fine art print?
- How can you identify the genuine signature of an artist?
Whether you are an emerging or experienced artist, this site provides you with a link to information and advice about professional development, marketing opportunities and other matters relevant to the business of being a visual artist.